A Late Night Update
First I want to say thank you to everyone that has been sending their thought and prayers A’s way. It really means a lot to me to have so many wonderful people supporting us and pulling for him.
I should also add here that I don’t think I was very clear about everything yesterday. Besides the spell that he had (which we don’t know if they are seizures or not) A has been very congested and having difficulty breathing. He is being treated for aspiration because of what happened Sunday night. With the chest x-ray looking fine it is hard to know what is happening. Today I was wondering about RSV but I was not about to take him to the hospital just to do a swab when he is NOT in any shape to go out.
So it was a pretty long night around here last night. I pushed our loveseat up against our couch so that I could sleep beside A all night. Or I guess I should say so that I could lay beside him all night! Anyways, he was doing okay off and on until about 2:30am. He was very irritable which in turn causes many more dystonic movements. At 3am I decided to give him a dose of versed. I have given him two doses before here at home about a year ago when he was sleeping like crap. I know back then that the effect was very quick but did not last very long at all. I was hoping last night that it would just take the edge off of him enough that he could get some rest.
Well within five minutes I could tell by his eyes that it was starting to affect him. Then came the frothing at the mouth and then the blueness to his lips. I turned on the light and grabbed the suction machine to start with that. I was getting a TON of junk out of him. I then cranked up his oxygen to five litres and let him try to get some colour before going in to suction again. The colour wasn’t happening. I went in and woke J up because I was so scared about what was happening. He immediately came out and we decided to suction again. Throughout this he was not fighting me at all and more or less was acting as if the suction didn’t bother him. Anyone knows that this isn’t normal and therefore had me even more scared. I really started to panic because I noticed that even his fingers and toes were blue. J went over to the oxygen and noticed that the end wasn’t even hooked up and must have gotten knocked off when he came out of our room. Within a couple of seconds A was getting pink again. For about the following hour his breathing was very off and he just was acting strange. The only thing that I could think was that it had to do with the versed. I won’t be giving him that stuff anymore! I have to tell you that at one point J and I really thought it was the end. It was almost as if A’s body was giving in. Really weird and I can’t explain it well but it was as if life was suddenly in slow motion.
I picked him up and just started to cry. I am so angry that he has to go through this. I am so angry that he is doing this but yet there is no one that will help figure out what is going on. I am so angry that I even have to deal with it. It breaks my heart to know that he is hurting and suffering and there is nothing that I can do to make him better. It just plain sucks.
The rest of the night I pretty much just watched him sleep and breath. Grandma was here early this morning so that I could get some rest. He was pretty restless all day for her and didn’t sleep much. It is so hard to see him sick because he is such a different little boy.
A went to sleep at about 7pm and woke up about 10:30pm. I did a little bit of chest physio and then suctioned before doing his breathing treatment. I got a little smile out of him when I was tickling him which was nice! I got him ready for bed and then put him in his chair for a bit.
He is still very stuffy and congested sounding but looking a tad on the normal side. I tried to shut off his oxygen a couple of times today but he isn’t taking that. The nurse from the oxygen company was here today and she had him hooked up for a while to do the trend she needs. Turns out the hospital didn’t do a printout that we need for coverage of the oxygen so she asked if I could turn it off. The trend they need to cover the oxygen has to be with the child satting below 88. For the five minutes that A was turned off he was around 80-84 coming up above 90 maybe once a minute. Bad news, obviously something is going on that he needs oxygen. Good news, we now will have oxygen coverage for a year.
Are you ready for this?!?!?! I don’t know why suddenly he is like this but I am not complaining!!!
As for the versed, I had a NICU nurse from my preemie group send me this link HERE….makes me really wonder if the whole ordeal last night was from this medication?!
***I have figured out how to load my video onto my computer but now I cannot find anywhere to upload it so that I can send it to those who would like to give me their opinion. Once I figure that out then I will be sending it out.***