Happy Birthday Aunt K!
A big happy birthday wish to Aunt K! We all love you, miss you and wish that you lived MUCH closer! Maybe one day A will be able to talk you into it! hahaha
So my little man is sick. The last two nights have been ROUGH to say the least. He has a pretty bad cold and today started with the fever. His cough is not sounding very nice either and he is just plain grumpy. I feel so helpless because there is nothing I can do to help make him better. It doesn’t help that he cannot have any meds to help with the stuffed nose, coughing and sneezing because he cannot have decongestants.
Yesterday we were at McMaster for his GI appointment. I had still never heard from the respirologist last week and yesterday I was hoping for a plan. Well actually that WAS the whole idea of seeing respirology and then GI. But as is no surprise the two had not even discussed A yet. Ugh.
So I had asked about possibly getting a g tube placed to try it out with A. Sure was the answer with the added “you are taking a risk….” Why is it that I always feel like I get stuck in a decision because no one wants to back me with it?! “Why do you want a g tube?” That was the next question. Well for starters, the gj tube was supposed to be temporary and it has been 20 months. Secondly the kid never feels hunger because he is fed 16 hours a day. He wouldn’t even know what hunger was if we were to stop feeding him. With a g tube I hope to get down to feeds every four hours or so and then work on oral feeds. It is kind of hard to get a kid to eat orally when he isn’t hungry. Maybe hunger is going to be the key to helping him do oral feeds. We all know that he was a good feeder before the tube so why not again?
Now I know that the gj tube was done because he was admitted into the PICU with life threatening events most likely due to reflux, BUT he has still has those spells with the gj. To me I feel that if we go to the g tube and he starts with the spells, then at least I can say that I tried and I will know that it isn’t possible. However without trying we will never know.
So now the plan is that the respirologist will call me in the next couple of weeks and we will see where to go from there. His GI told me to ask for the next available appointment to come back. LOL Well that wasn’t until March! I am not waiting until March to discuss things further.
On our way out we stopped at the NICU and got to see A’s primary nurse Danielle.
Last night was the first Leaf game so daddy and A cuddled and watched the game. Well some of it…
On a final note for today, I did hear from the doctor in London the other day about A’s MRI. A has mild PVL with a lot of white matter around the ventricles in his brain. English you ask? I’ll dedicate my next post to that!